Maple Walnut Pie
Alvah Moody of Moody's Diner once told us that his family originally based their recipe for maple walnut pie on southern-style pecan pie. But because the downeast version is made with maple syrup rather than corn syrup, it isn't as sweet. Indeed, if it weren't for the cloud of whipped cream that comes on top, this nutty wedge could almost pass as health food.Roadfood review of Moody's
- Prep Time: 20 minutes minutes
- Yield: 8 Servings
- 1 9-inch unbaked pie crust
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 1/4 cups pure maple syrup
- 3 tbsp salted butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp maple extract
- 1 cup walnut halves
- Whipped cream to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix together the brown sugar, flour, maple syrup, and butter. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until butter melts. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Mix together the eggs and maple flavoring. Very gradually, drizzle in the sugar and syrup mixture. Mix and pour into the prepared pie shell. Top with walnuts.
- Bake 45 minutes or until set.
- Serve at room temperature, dolloped with whipped cream to taste.
What do you think of Maple Walnut Pie?