Shoo Fly Cake
In this Shoofly Cake Recipe from The Dutch Kitchen, some locals would call it "dry bottom shoofly pie," a gloss on the Pennsylvania Dutch tradition with the same utterly basic ingredients but without the gooey, moist ribbon in the center. This is a good recipe to have on hand when you are in a hurry: no crust required. A fine coffee companion.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 16 Servings
- 1 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup mild molasses
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix the shortening, flour, and sugar with your hands until the mixture forms coarse crumbs. Reserve 1 cup of this mixture to be used later.
- Mix together the molasses, hot water and baking soda. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture.
- Pour the filling into a greased and floured 9x13-inch baking pan. Sprinkle the reserved cup of crumb mixture on top.
- Bake 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 40 minutes more.