Los Angeles once was known for its amazing cafeterias, as baroque as movie palaces from the golden age of Hollywood. The grandest of them all was Clifton's. This recipe comes from a brochure Clifton's published decades ago. (The photo is of Millionaire Pie at Zarzour's Cafe in Chattanooga, Tennessee. It also features grapes and Mandarin oranges.)
- Prep Time: 6 hours
- Yield: 8 Servings
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup margarine
- 1 egg
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 8-inch pie crust, pre-baked and cooled
- 2/3 cup whipping cream
- 2/3 cup unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 cup whipped cream
- Sift powdered sugar and combine it with the margarine, egg, salt, and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Use an electric mixer on low speed to beat these ingredients a full 15 minutes. Spoon into a pre-baked 8-inch pie crust. Chill until firm.
- Whip cream until stiff. Blend in pineapple and nuts. Spread on top of chilled pie. Garnish with whipped cream. Chill at least four hours before serving.