Lemon Icebox Pie
A favorite in the South, especially as a coolant after barbecue or hot chicken, lemon icebox pie is a tongue-teasing balance of sweet and tart. Note that this pie, once assembled, needs several hours to chill before being served.
- Prep Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 Servings
- 3 egg whites
- 1 dash cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tbsp grated lemon peel
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1 9-inch pie shell or Graham cracker crust, baked and cooled
- Whip egg whites with cream of tartar until frothy, slowly adding sugar until soft peaks form. Still whipping, slowly add the lemon juice, then the peel. The mixture will deflate a bit as you do this: Don't worry!
- In a separate bowl, whip the cream. Fold it into the lemon mixture and spoon it into the prepared pie shell. Freeze at least 3 hours or up to 3 days.
- Remove from freezer about an hour before serving. Slices should be cold but not frozen solid.