Tomato Basil Soup
Tom feels slightly disloyal discussing this variation of tomato soup because it contains no potatoes. "Traditionalists argue that you must gave potatoes and sautéed onion in tomato soup. That is how it always begins. But this recipe is a New-South take on the old way of doing it."
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 5 Servings
- 2 yellow onions finely diced
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp dash of sugar
- 1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 basil leaves cut julienne
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, sauté the onions in butter until clear and softened.
- Add the salt, pepper, and 3 tablespoon of the sugar. Cook until the sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. After 2 minutes, add the tomatoes and a dash of sugar and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the water. Simmer for 15 minutes. Set the soup aside to cool.
- When cooled, purée the soup in a blender. Return the soup to the stove, simmer 5 minutes, and then add the cream. Sprinkle the basil for garnish.
Other Loveless Cafe Recipes
What do you think of Tomato Basil Soup?