Chicken and Dumplings
On the subject of dumplings, Tom's enthusiasm is boundless. "Here's the controversy," he explains: "Is a dumpling a scoop or a strip? For traditionalists like my kids great grandmother, if she gets a dough scoop, its not chicken and dumplings. She insists on strips. For her, chicken and dumplings begins with broth and all. white meat. Bring it to a slow boil and then lay your dough strips on top. That part is a science, because if you don't have the right amount of flour in the strip, it wont hold up as intended. It takes a lot of time to make the ribbons right. The scoop is easier because you don't have to roll it out. However, with scoops, you run the risk of dumplings that are gooey I'll sit there with my wife and her mother and her mother's mother, three generations and they'll argue about how to make those dumplings. "The secret of good dumplings is to have stock at a slow boil, not a fast one. Too fast and you end up with a gooey ball inside."
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 5 Servings
- 1 (3-pound) chicken washed and trimmed
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- ¼ (20-ounce) box Bisquick mix
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Place the chicken and enough water to cover into a stockpot and bring to a simmer. Poach the chicken until just done, about 30 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- When the chicken has cooled, pull the white meat only into bite-size pieces. Place the pulled chicken back into the water and add the chicken stock, butter, and black pepper. Add the salt to taste. (Salt is not always necessary, since the chicken stock tends to be on the salty side.)
- Mix the Bisquick according to the box recipe for dumplings. This can be made ahead of time and refrigerated up to 2 days. Use an ice cream scoop to make dumplings, or rollout the dough to ¼-inch thickness and cut into strips the length of the pot's diameter. Drop the dough scoops or strips into the stock with the chicken and cook until done,10 to 12 minutes on simmer. Sprinkle the parsley over the top. Serve immediately.