BBQ Chicken Recipe | South Chicago, IL
The South Side of Chicago is known for its BBQ joints, and this dish captures the essence of all the area has to offer- tender juice chicken slathered in a sweet, smoky and spicy sauce that permeates the meat. Serve the chicken with a side of coleslaw, sweet potato fries and a lot of napkins! The BBQ sauce can be made ahead of time and refrigerated, airtight, for up to one week.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 Servings
- 2-4 lbs chicken pieces skin on bone-in legs, skinless boneless thighs
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 2/3 cup pineapple juice
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar packed
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Tabasco or other hot sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- Add all BBQ sauce ingredients to a large saucepan and whisk together until combined. Simmer over medium heat for 25 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to reach room temperature.
- In a large plastic bag with closure, add chicken and 1/3 of BBQ sauce and mix well. Set in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, but overnight is best.
- Prepare the grill with high heat. Sear the chicken pieces 5-10 minutes each side with the grill open. Reduce heat to medium high and close lid for 20-30 minutes, slathering the chicken with another 1/3 BBQ sauce and turning pieces so they cook evenly. Slather with sauce and turn so you get a nice char on the chicken. Chicken is done when the internal temperature reaches 170F for thighs.
- Serve chicken with the additional 1/3 BBQ sauce, slices of white or potato bread and pickles.