Along the River
A drive along the Connecticut River is described as a one of “traditions, vivid history, deeply rooted farming heritage, call of the railroads, natural beauty, and recreation.” And memorable Yankee fare in diners and truck stops, at farm stands and sugar shacks, and in town cafes.
Hadley to Sunderland
These three towns offer a range of great Roadfood locations with dishes including foot-long hot dogs, polish dinners and maple flavored ice cream.
- North Hadley Sugar Shack sells a variety of sweet treats throughout the year. Our favorite was the maple flavored soft serve ice cream that is served starting in May. They also have donuts, pancakes, homemade maple syrup and more.
- Two great dishes are offered at Tom’s, hot dogs and French fries. The hot dogs give off an audible snap when bitten into and the French fries are fried to perfection. We recommend you order both.
- Open April through December, Smiarowski Farmstand & Creamy sells great polish food and ice cream. Our favorite of which was the “Polish Power Plate.” This platter comes loaded down with kielbasa, golumbki, baked beans and lazy pierogi. Lazy pierogi consists of all the ingredients of the pierogi but is not pocketed as dumplings.
Putney offers a classic American Diner serving great pies as well as a barbecue that is the self-proclaimed “Ninth Wonder of the World.”
- Operating in Putney, Vermont, the Putney Diner knows how make a customer happy. Dishes like macaroni and cheese and American chop suey are fantastic and no meal can be completed without a slice of their amazing pie, topped with whipped cream or ice cream.
- The self-proclaimed “Ninth Wonder of the World” may be the best way to describe Curtis’s Barbecue. Food is smoked outside over a large barbecue and sold out of a blue school bus. The ribs were our favorite dish on the menu but the chicken was also notable.
Lebanon and Newbury
In Lebanon you will find a great local diner operating out of Worcester Dining Car #837. Newbury is home to a gas station that serves excellent food.
- The Four Aces Diner is a well loved establishment that serves great dishes. Popovers, grilled sour cream donuts, boiled corn beef dinner and turkey dinner are all slid across the well-worn counter daily.
- A true truck stop, P&H Truck Stop doesn’t only offer beds upstairs, they offer fantastic food below. Bread is made daily and sold by the loaf or slice alongside their all-day breakfast. Also offered are regional dishes, such as a clam roll, and more classic foods like hamburgers and hot dogs.