King Ranch Casserole Recipe
Texas Junior League cookbooks have always had plenty of recipes for King Ranch casserole, but it is a relative rarity in restaurants. It is said that there are as many recipes for it as there are Lone Star cooks, but the basic elements usually are canned soup, cheese, tortillas (flour, corn or just chips) and chicken. How a chicken casserole got named for a famous cattle ranch is anybody's guess.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 0 Servings
- 1 package flour tortillas
- 1 cooked chicken, deboned
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup grated cheese
- Cut the tortillas into strips.
- Make layers of the tortillas and chicken in a broad casserole dish.
- Combine the soups, broth, onion and cheese and pour this mixture over the layered chicken and tortillas.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes. King casserole tastes best if it is allowed to sit for at least an hour before serving.