Lentil Soup (Zuppa di Lenticchia)
"Lentils were a change from beans," Vinnie says about this robust soup, which he calls a good example of the frugality of Italian cooks. "You use what you had; and most of the time, what you had were dried up things in the cupboard, things that wouldn't spoil"
- Prep Time:
- Yield: 10 Servings
- 1 lb lentils
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup diced carrots
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 12 cups beef stock
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup cooked pasta optional
- Soak the lentils overnight.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and brown the garlic; discard the garlic.
- Sauté the carrots, celery, and onions for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, lentils, and beef stock and simmer until tender, or about 1 hour.
- If pasta is desired add in 1/2 cup cooked pasta. Salt and pepper to taste. If needed add a splash of olive oil to each bowl before serving.