If you are a California resident, please find our California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) notice titled “California Resident Privacy Notice,” below.
Personal Information We Collect
A. Information You Provide To Us
Registration Information. You may be able to register for a Fexy account and/or another account on the Services. If you register for an account, we will receive any registration information you provide to us, for example, your name, username that you select, zip code, and email address. Note that we may migrate your account information to a single Fexy account as we develop our Services. If you decide to sign up for an account using a third-party account such as your Google account or your Facebook account, we will also get basic information from the profile associated with your account, such as your name and the email address associated with the account.
Ecommerce Partner Registration Information. You may provide us with the username and password information used for accessing certain ecommerce retail partners. We may store and use this account information to log into to your account, exhibit products that you may intend to order from the retailer, check product availability and/or inventory levels, and place those items into the retailers shopping cart.
Content Contributions. You may be able to contribute to the Services in a variety of ways, for example filling out your profile, writing comments, etc. We may store these contributions and the dates and times you make them, and use them in different ways, including for display on the website.
Communications. If you contact us directly, participate in any of our surveys, or otherwise complete any online forms on the Services, we may receive additional information about you. For example, when you contact our customer support team, we may receive your name, email address, the contents of a message or attachments that you may send to us, and other information you choose to provide.
B. Information We Collect When You Use the Services
Device and Usage Information. To help us understand how you use the Services and to help us improve them, we automatically receive and log information from your device and information about your interactions with the Services, including IP address, MAC addresses, browser type, internet service provider, referring/exit pages, operating system, the pages or other content you view, your actions on the websites and online services, and the dates and times of your visits. We also use your IP address to approximate your location and suggest grocery partners that may serve your area.
Information from Cookies and Similar Technologies. We collect information through the use of “cookies,” tracking pixels, and similar technologies to understand how you navigate through Services, to learn what content is popular, and to help us improve our algorithms and the offerings on the Services. Cookies are small text files that web servers place on your device; they are designed to store basic information and to help websites and apps recognize your browser. We may use both session cookies and persistent cookies. A session cookie disappears after you close your browser. A persistent cookie remains after you close your browser and may be accessed every time you use the Services. We also use analytics providers such as Google Analytics cookies for these purposes, and you can find more information on how Google uses data from these cookies at google.com/policies/privacy/partners/. These analytics providers may collect or have access to information about you which they may collect over time and across different websites. You should consult your web browser(s) to modify your cookie settings. Please note that if you delete or choose not to accept cookies from us, you may be missing out on certain features of the Services.
C. Other Information We Collect from Third Parties
Fexy Sites and Apps. If you sign up for an account or otherwise use the Fexy Sites and Apps, or you log into one of our websites or apps using an account affiliated with one of the Fexy Sites and Apps, such as your Serious Eats account or Simply Recipes account, we may receive and combine information about you, such as your recipes, zip code information, and shopping carts. We use this information to provide the shopping cart service, as well as personalize your experience, and make relevant recommendations to you on the Services, and learn about trends and patterns that we can share with our third party partners on a de-identified aggregate basis.
Sites and Apps with Fexy Integration. We receive information about your recipes and shopping carts from all Fexy Sites and Apps as well as other third party sites and apps that integrate our shopping cart technology. This allows us to provide you with an easy dashboard for viewing your recipes and ordering your ingredients and supplies.
Grocery Partners. Our Services are integrated with various grocery store partners so that you can easily purchase ingredients and supplies for your next great meal. If you choose to use our grocery partners’ integrated services, you will be directed to our partners’ websites to complete your purchases. When you purchase from one of our partners through our Services, the partner may provide us aggregate data or other summaries of the items our users purchased. We will use this information to learn about trends and patterns that we can share with our third party partners on a de-identified aggregate basis.
How We Use The Information We Collect
We use the information we collect from users to:
• Provide you with the Services to allow you to discover and create the best recipes from around the country;
• Improve, expand, and promote the Services;
• Analyze how users interact with the Services in order to enhance user experience;
• Communicate with you, either directly or through one of our Fexy Sites and Apps, including for tailored marketing and promotional purposes, and to distribute surveys;
• Customize our offerings for you;
• Provide you with customer support;
• Learn about trends and patterns related to recipes and ingredients on a de-identified aggregate basis; and
• Address legal issues that may arise, comply with our legal obligations and potential requests from authorities.
How We Share The Information We Collect
Fexy Sites and Apps. We may share information we collect about you between and among the Fexy Sites and Apps. All information collected through any Fexy Site or Fexy App will be shared with Fexy Media.
Sharing on the Services and on Social Platforms. You may be able to post comments and contribute other content on the Services. This information will be displayed publicly and will be visible to all other users and visitors to the Services. You can also choose to share recipes and other content you view on the Services through social media channels such as Facebook and Twitter and via email.
Sites and Apps with Fexy Integration. When you shop recipes through Fexy Sites and Apps or other sites and apps that integrate our shopping cart technology, we may provide those other sites and apps with de-identified, aggregated trends and patterns, such as how many times a certain ingredient was ordered.
Third Party Partners. If you purchase ingredients and supplies via the Services, we will de-identify information about what you purchased and where you purchased it from and combine it with similar information from our other users. We will then share that information with our third party partners so that they can learn about trends and patterns related to what our users purchase. Service Providers. We work with third party service providers to perform services on our behalf, and we may share your information with such service providers to help us provide the Services, including to do all of the things described in Section titled “How We Use the Information We Collect.”
Third Party Advertisers. When you visit our Services, third party advertisers may set and access their own cookies, pixel tags, and similar technologies on the Services and they may otherwise collect or have access to information about you that they collect over time and across different websites. We and third party advertisers may target advertisements for products and services in which you might be interested based on your use of the Service. If you prefer to not receive targeted advertising, you can opt-out of some network advertising programs that use your information. To learn more about your choices, please visit the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA) Opt-Out Page: http://www.aboutads.info/choices, or the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) Opt-Out Page: http://optout.networkadvertising.org/choices.
Other Sharing. We may share your Personal Information with other third parties in the following cases:
• While negotiating or in relation to a change of corporate control such as a restructuring, merger or sale of our assets;
• If a government authority requests information and we think disclosure is required or appropriate in order to comply with laws, regulations, or a legal process;
• With law enforcement officials, government authorities, or third parties if we think doing so is necessary to protect the rights, property, or safety of Fexy Media, the Services, or our users;
• To comply with a legal requirement or process; and
• Whenever you consent to the sharing or as otherwise permitted or required under applicable law.
Email Subscriptions. You can always unsubscribe from our promotional emails but we will still send you transactional emails related to the Services.
Editing and Accessing Your Information. You can review and edit certain account information and request to close your account, by contacting us a [email protected] with your request. Please note that in some cases we may retain certain information about you as required by law, or for legitimate business purposes to the extent permitted by law. We may also retain your de-identified and aggregated data.
1. Personal Information Collection, Disclosure, and Sale
For the purposes of this notice, Personal Information means information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or household, or as otherwise defined by the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (California Civil Code §§ 1798.100 to 1798.199) and its implementing regulations, as amended or superseded from time to time (“CCPA”).
Personal Information does not include information that is:
• Lawfully made available from government records.
• Deidentified or aggregated.
• Otherwise excluded from the scope of the CCPA.
The chart below provides the categories of Personal Information (as defined by the CCPA) we have collected, disclosed for a business purpose, sold, or used for business or commercial purposes in the preceding twelve months since this notice was last updated, as well as the categories of sources from which that information was collected, and the categories of third parties with whom we shared Personal Information. The examples of Personal Information provided for each category reflect each category’s statutory definition and may not reflect all of the specific types of Personal Information associated with each category.
|Category||We Collect||We Disclose||We Sell|
Examples: Name, unique personal identifier, internet protocol address, user name, email address, or other similar identifiers.
|B. Categories of Personal Information in Cal. Civ. Code Section 1798.80(e)
|C. Characteristics of Protected Classifications under California or Federal Law
Examples: Race or color, ancestry or national origin, religion or creed, age (over 40), mental or physical disability, sex (including gender and pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, military and veteran status.
|D. Commercial Information
Examples: Products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
|E. Biometric Information
Examples: Physiological, biological, or behavioral characteristics, including DNA, that can be used, singly or in combination with each other or with other identifying data, to establish individual identity, such as imagery of the iris, retina, fingerprint, face, hand, palm, vein patterns, and voice recordings, from which an identifier template, such as a faceprint, a minutiae template, or a voiceprint, can be extracted, and keystroke patterns or rhythms, gait patterns or rhythms, and sleep, health, or exercise data that contain identifying information.
|F. Internet or Other Electronic Network Activity Information
Examples: Browsing history, search history, and information regarding a consumer’s interaction with an internet website, application or advertisement.
|G. Geolocation Data
Example: Precise physical location.
|H. Sensory Information
Examples: Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information.
|I. Professional or employment-related information
Examples: Job application or resume information, past and current job history, and job performance information.
|J. Non-Public Education Information (as defined in 20 U.S.C. 1232g; 34 C.F.R. Part 99)
Examples: Records that are directly related to a student maintained by an educational agency or institution or by a party acting for the agency or institution.
|K. Inferences Drawn from Personal Information
Example: Consumer profiles reflecting a consumer’s preferences.
2. Use of Personal Information
We collect, use, and disclose your Personal Information in accordance with the specific business and commercial purposes below:
1. Providing Services: Providing our Services.
2. Communicating: Communicating with you, providing you with updates and other information relating to our Services, providing information that you request, responding to comments and questions, and otherwise providing customer support.
3. Social Network Support: Updating your status on social networks, sending messages on your behalf to your social networks, and providing other features and services to you.
4. Connecting Third Party Services: Facilitating the connection of third-party services or applications, such as social networks.
5. Marketing: Marketing purposes, such as developing and providing promotional and advertising materials that may be useful, relevant, valuable or otherwise of interest to you.
6. Personalization: Personalizing your experience on our Services such as presenting tailored content.
7. Deidentification and Aggregation: De-identifying and aggregating information collected through our Services and using it for any lawful purpose.
8. Safety Issues: Responding to trust and safety issues that may arise.
9. Compliance: For compliance purposes, including enforcing our Terms of Service or other legal rights, or as may be required by applicable laws and regulations or requested by any judicial process or governmental agency.
10. Auditing Interactions: Auditing related to a current interaction with you and concurrent transactions, including, but not limited to, counting ad impressions to unique visitors, verifying positioning and quality of ad impressions, and auditing compliance with this specification and other standards.
11. Debugging: Debugging to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
12. Transient Use: Short-term, transient use.
13. Contracting Vendors: Contracting with service providers to perform services on our behalf or on their behalf, including maintaining or servicing accounts, providing customer service, processing or fulfilling orders and transactions, verifying customer information, processing payments, providing financing, providing advertising or marketing services, providing analytic services, or providing similar services on behalf of the business or service provider.
14. Research: Undertaking internal research for technological development and demonstration.
15. Improving Our Services: Undertaking activities to verify or maintain the quality or safety of our Services, and to improve, upgrade, or enhance our Services.
16. Enabling Transactions: Otherwise enabling or effecting, directly or indirectly, a commercial transaction.
17. Notified Purpose: For other purposes for which we provide specific notice at the time the information is collected.
3. Collection of Personal Information
In the preceding twelve months since this notice was last updated, we have collected Personal Information from the following categories of sources:
1. You/Your Devices: You or your devices directly.
3. Advertising Networks.
4. Analytics Providers.
5. OS/Platform Provider: Operating systems and platforms.
6. Social Networks.
7. Partners: Business partners.
4. Disclosure of Personal Information
I. Advertising Providers: Advertising technology companies, such as advertising networks.
II. Analytics Providers.
III. Social Networks.
V. Vendors: Vendors and service providers.
VI. Integrated Third Parties: Third parties integrated into our Services.
VII. Third Parties as Legally Required: Third parties as required by law and similar disclosures.
VIII. Third Parties in Merger/Acquisition: Third parties in connection with a merger, sale, or asset transfer.
IX. Third Parties with Consent: Other third parties for whom we have obtained your permission to disclose your Personal Information.
5. Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, you may exercise the following rights.
Right to Know and Access. You may submit a verifiable request for information regarding the: (1) categories of Personal Information collected, sold, or disclosed by us; (2) purposes for which categories of Personal Information are collected or sold by us; (3) categories of sources from which we collect Personal Information; (4) categories of third parties with whom we disclosed or sold Personal Information; and (5) specific pieces of Personal Information we have collected about you during the past twelve months.
Right to Delete. Subject to certain exceptions, you may submit a verifiable request that we delete Personal Information about you that we have collected from you.
Verification. Requests for access to or deletion of Personal Information are subject to our ability to reasonably verify your identity in light of the information requested and pursuant to relevant CCPA requirements, limitations, and regulations. To verify your access or deletion request, please provide us with your name and email address, and we will follow up with you with any additional information we need to verify your identity.
Right to Opt Out. The CCPA defines “sale” very broadly to cover common industry practices, including providing you with a customized experience on our websites and apps. In some circumstances, you may opt out of the sharing activities that meet the CCPA’s definition of “sale.” If you prefer to not receive targeted advertising, you can opt out of some network advertising programs that use your information. To learn more about your choices, please visit the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA) Opt-Out Page: http://www.aboutads.info/choices, or the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) Opt-Out Page: http://optout.networkadvertising.org/choices.
Shine the Light. We do not rent, sell, or share Personal Information with nonaffiliated companies for their direct marketing uses as contemplated by California’s “Shine the Light” law (Civil Code § 1798.83), unless we have your permission.
Submit Requests. To exercise your rights under the CCPA, please use the links above or send an email or write to us via the contact information provided in the Contact Information section, below.
Authorizing an Agent. To authorize an agent to make a request to know, delete, or opt out on your behalf, please send a written authorization signed by you and the authorized agent to us via the Contact Information section.
Data Security. We are committed to protecting your information. Even though we take reasonable precautions to protect your data, no security measures can be 100% secure, and we cannot guarantee the security of your data.
Children’s Privacy. The Services are not directed to children, and we don’t knowingly collect Personal Information from children under 13. If we find out that a child under 13 has given us Personal Information, we will take steps to delete that information. If you believe that a child under the age of 13 has given us personal information, please contact us at: 7525 SE 24th Street, Suite 650, Mercer Island, WA 98040.
Note to International Visitors. The Service are hosted in the United States and intended for visitors located within the United States. Please do not use the Services if you are located outside of the United States. If you do use the Services from the European Union or other regions of the world with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from U.S. law, then please note that you are transferring your personal information outside of those regions to the United States for storage and processing. By providing any information, including personal information, on or to the Services, you consent to such transfer, storage, and processing.
Last Reviewed and Updated: March 31, 2020