Misha and the Roadfood team went to the South Side of Chicago to explore the unique way that some BBQ restaurants grill their meat. We met up with Lem’s BBQ, Honey 1 BBQ and Slab BBQ to see their aquarium style cooking techniques. Misha and the crew did not go hungry on this episode! Quite the opposite. They tried all kinds of BBQ each one with their own individual flavors and spices.
Misha also explores the University of Chicago his alma mater, and revisits the place he once called home for his four years of college.
Take out your napkins and forks and dive into this episode teaser that is sure to make your mouth water.
To try making BBQ yourself, use our Recipe from the Road for BBQ chicken:
BBQ Chicken Recipe | South Chicago, IL
- 2-4 lbs chicken pieces skin on bone-in legs, skinless boneless thighs
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 2/3 cup pineapple juice
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar packed
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Tabasco or other hot sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- Add all BBQ sauce ingredients to a large saucepan and whisk together until combined. Simmer over medium heat for 25 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to reach room temperature.
- In a large plastic bag with closure, add chicken and 1/3 of BBQ sauce and mix well. Set in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, but overnight is best.
- Prepare the grill with high heat. Sear the chicken pieces 5-10 minutes each side with the grill open. Reduce heat to medium high and close lid for 20-30 minutes, slathering the chicken with another 1/3 BBQ sauce and turning pieces so they cook evenly. Slather with sauce and turn so you get a nice char on the chicken. Chicken is done when the internal temperature reaches 170F for thighs.
- Serve chicken with the additional 1/3 BBQ sauce, slices of white or potato bread and pickles.