Check out this episode teaser for our episode shot in the beautiful state of Rhode Island. Here in this teaser you will see Misha meet up with a cast of characters that are all taking many bites of Calamari, which is the official state appetizer. Didn’t know that existed? Well, neither did we! But we get to the bottom of this very controversial dish… or is it just a yummy dish? Find out here!
Check out our version of this recipe:
Here is the Roadfood version of this fantastic dish so you can give it a try at home when you need a savory appetizer. This will be sure to impress your guests:
- 1 lb. cleaned squid calamari, tubes cut into rings and tentacles left whole
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 4 Tbs. butter
- 1 cup sliced banana peppers mix of red and green
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Lemon wedges
- Fresh parsley chopped for garnish
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, cornstarch, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Dip calamari in egg, then in flour mixture. Place on a plate as you go.
- Heat a Dutch oven on medium heat with oil, about 2 inches high, until it reaches 375F.
- Fry calamari in batches until browned, about 1-2 minutes each side. Remove from oil and set aside.
- In a separate large pan, melt butter over medium heat. Sauté the peppers until tender. Add in the calamari into the butter and toss to coat. Serve with lemon wedges and top with parsley.