Road Trip Overview
After moving to Aiken, South Carolina, Michael Stern put together an expertly crafted list of his six favorite local restaurants. This road trip, spanning 63 miles, will take just over an hour and a half of driving to complete. Along this drive expect ice cream that has people driving across the state to get, all you can eat crab legs, and possibly the best BBQ pork sandwich we have ever had.
15 minutes apart and both serving excellent fried chicken, the first two restaurants of this tour are surprisingly different.
- Due to its buffet style dining and large cafeteria tables, Shealy’s Bar-B-Que is home to many locals and excellent food. We sat next to a family with three generations present.
- Surrounded by orchards, Peaches ‘n’ Such uses it’s fresh produce to craft unbelievable homemade peach and strawberry ice cream that makes this restaurant worth any drive.
In and Around Aiken
Another two near opposite restaurants. One selling and serving excellent, fresh, seafood a few hours from the coast and the other with remarkable desserts.
- JC’s Seafood’s family style, single-platter, presentation of a Low Country boil, consisting of sweet corn, potatoes and kielbasa with a choice of shrimp, crab legs, mussels, see scallops, lobster tails or clams is more than enough food for a large party.
- Although their meals are terrific, Michael loves the “Angry Meatloaf,” the real stand out at Red Shed Diner & Produce is their desserts. All homemade by the servers and chefs, there were too many to try. Make sure you get a dollop of fresh whipped cream on top.
Arriving at Augusta
Serving a variety of chicken, seafood and barbeque, these last two stops in Augusta Georgia are the perfect way to end this short food-lover’s road trip.
- With all you can eat crab legs for under $30 and excellent side dishes and chicken, DeShawn’s Seafood and Chicken is too good of a deal to pass up.
- Mainly a take-out restaurant, Perry’s Pig serves what was likely the best BBQ pork sandwich we have ever had. Expect to eat it with a fork.
A farm-stand cafe surrounded by South Carolina orchards, Peaches 'n' Such serves breakfast, lunch and, of course, peach ice cream and peach cobbler.
A colorful, welcoming roadside restaurant & produce stand, Graniteville's Red Shed serves hearty cafe meals and blue ribbon pies & cakes. A Roadfood favorite!
Top-quality, no-frills seafood and great fried chicken make DeShawn's a destination feast in North Augusta. It is renowned for all-you-can-eat crab legs.