The Drive to Key West
Surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean and Gulf of Mexico stretching out as far as the eye can see, this drive winds through vistas of natural beauty, areas rich in history and legend, views of spectacular sunrises, sunsets, sparkling stars, and moonlight. It’s a highway where travelers from all over the world experience their own adventures in paradise.” Need we mention that Gulf seafood and, of course, Key lime pie, along this route are extraordinary?
Key Largo and Marathon
- When available, the “Blackened Grouper Orleans” served at Buzzards Roost is our go-to dish. If it is unavailable while you are there, there are a variety of other fantastic dishes including a “Hogfish Sandwich” and “seafood combo” platter. The caramel granny smith apple pie is a hard dessert to pass up.
- Eating at Key Fisheries is about as informal as it can get. Seating is outside at picnic tables and utensils and plates are disposable. The food is off the charts. The fish in the “Grilled Grouper Sandwich” is obviously fresh and tastes excellent. “Coconut Shrimp” are plump and juicy, they’re a great appetizer for any meal.
- El Siboney serves many excellent Cuban dishes. The “Roast Pork” is fantastic and is served alongside onions, rice and yuca. The “Cuban Mix Sandwich” uses this roast pork, as well as ham, salami, cheese, pickles, lettuce and tomatoes, to construct a delicious sandwich.
- Dining at Louie’s Back Yard is as close to a magical experience as you are going to get from a meal. Seating is outside on a terrace that overlooks the Atlantic Ocean, we enjoyed a spectacular sunset, and the food is unbelievably good. Fish is so fresh that you can eat a filet for a six o’clock dinner that was caught at noon.
- Breakfast begins at 6:30 at Pepe’s Café & Steak House. Choose from a variety of omelets, pancakes and granola and don’t forget to order the bread du jour. For people arriving later in the day, oysters are offered in many different ways, including Mexican, raw and Florentine.
- Chickens roam Blue Heaven as if they own the place, but we don’t mind. Breakfast here is outstanding, we suggest the pancakes or granola. For those arriving later in the day, the pork tenderloin is an great dish.