Orlando: two musts.
Each and every one of the ten or so times we have been in Orlando (since the Reagan Administration!) we have dined at the Kissimmee Steak Company. As we are now in the 21st. century, even local establishments have a web site; here’s theirs: http://www.kissimmeesteakhouse.com/. Their site includes a map, but who needs those: off I-4 go east on 192. As soon as you see Osceola Community College and the Houston Astros training camp on your left, slow down. The restaurant will soon be on your left. 95% of the diners will be locals and the other 5% will be like me. I’d like to thank the previous occupants of the vacation house I rented on our first trip to Orlando in 1987 – their journals raved about the place to the point that we just had to go. Two decades later I’m glad we did. And did every time we’ve been back.
And then there is BBQ. Avoid the omnipresent Sonny’s and go to Bubbalou’s Bodacious BBQ: http://www.bubbalous.com/. I’ve gone to their Kirkman Road location on the last few trips and have been more than satisfied. They face Conroy-Windemere Rd. and are in a shopping center on the SW corner of its intersection with Kirkman (on the left just past Universal heading north on Kirkman). The "deal" here is that they serve most all styles of BBQ and do them all pretty well. The only place I’ve been that pulls that off better is Willard’s in Chantilly, VA. Since you are from DFW, they are a heckuva lot better than Dickey’s or Spring Creek on a good day!.
Enjoy. Let me know if I gave you some good advice![;)]
I’ll second that. Been a while since I’ve been there but it’s always been excellent. As I recall it’s on Oakland Park Blvd by the railroad track east of I-95.
A couple of others are the food court at the Festival indoor flea market on Sample road in Pompano Beach, and the East Side Deli on Atlantic avenue in Margate.
There was a long thread recently about DFW to Cape Canaveral. Maybe someone who is good at the search function can help you find it.
In Ft Lauderdale a MUST is "Peter Pan Diner" everything is great! The lamb shank is outstanding and they make excellent desserts there all at the right price! Happy eating! KokomoJoe
Dixie Crossraods at the mall in Orlando (id you aren’t going to pass Titusville).
If you get to Daytona … The Brickyard for a burger and grilled wings.
When home, visit Sonny Bryan’s on Inwood for me. [:D]
Real good (log) BBQ @ Leatha’s 6374 US98 East (3 mi. W of I-59)(601) 271-6003 T-Sat 11-9.Very nice folks serving up good ribs and sandwiches and good sides. Give them a try. You won’t be disappointed.
Day 1 DFW to Jackson Mississippi. I am leaving mid afternoon. So dinner on the way to Jackson or late in Jackson.
Day 2 Jackson to Ocala
Day 3 & 4 Sarasota area.
Day 5,6,7 Winter Park / Orlando
Day 8,9,10 Weston / Ft. Lauderdale
Then back to Hattisburg MS to ride the Longleaf Trace. What’s are the can’t miss places in Hattiesburg?
Then back to DFW
Road Trip DFW to South Florida
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.