* I stopped by 5th and Race to see if New Orleans to Go Food truck had made its long awaited debut – they had twittered Friday would be the day – but alas, no NOTG. Will keep checking, keep you posted. They are also twittering:
It was there last week and I gave it a try –good sandwiches. I saw one of the food bloggers has been there as well (cincinnatibites.com)
* a new Korean-ish steam table joint – TJ’s Korean (no relation) – has opened on Court between Walnut and Vine. Very, very limited menu: Beef bulgogi for 5.99, Spicey Pork Bulgogi or Teriyaki Chicken for 4.99, any with rice, veggies, and a dumpling. The Beef Bulgogi (my first) was pretty good, but the portion was on the skimpy side. I will definitely ask for more rice when I go back to try the Pork. The little sample of the chicken teriyaki they added to my plate was not all that good, very cloying. They said they’d been open about 3 week now.
Ohhh that sounds yummy!
* I have tried almost every slice they offer at Capri Tavola Calda on Walnut near 4th, and have come to the conclusion that they are all mediocre/OK with the noted exception of the excellent roasted red pepper and shaved parmesan slice, which is offerred only as an occasional special. I check almost every day. It is _that_ good.
A lot of food bloggers have mentioned how hit-or-miss Capri is. I’ve always liked their pizza, though.
* I made it over to Taco Casa at Victory and McMillan and am happy to report that the Sancho Boat and Taco is just as good as ever. I really miss their old hidden location downtown – the tiny back-alley building that housed this operation has been torn down for a while now
Was once told the old location had a bug problem. I like the one in Oakley but its parking lot is almost always empty. I don’t know how they keep that Sancho Boat afloat with Chipotle breathing down their neck next door.
* I still have not made it over to Tacqueria Mercado, and am going to have to rectify that soon. The menu is pretty extensive, what should I start with?
Try the al pastor and suadero tacos and make sure to get the refried beans. Also recommend the tortas…the original one is basically a fried steak on a bun, but it’s good stuff.