Here’s the recipe for the tarts I made last night.
Cranberry Walnut Tarts
I usually make a bunch of 3 inch tarts but last night I was lazy so I made one 9 inch and 3 overflowing 3 inch tarts. There’s way too much clean up when you do a bunch of the 3 inchers!
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts
3 sticks unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, slightly beaten
2 teaspoons PURE almond extract
2 cups flour
4 cups fresh cranberries
1. Heat oven to 350ºF with the rack in the center. Spread all the walnuts on to a cookie sheet and bake for about 6 mintes. Be careful not to burn them! Cool.
2. Reduce the oven to 325ºF. (I forgot to do this last night without any problem!) Brush the tart pans lightly with butter. If you’re using non-stick pans omit this step as it’s not needed!
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, sugar, eggs, extract and the flour. The batter will be thick. Stir in the cranberries and walnuts.
4. Fill the tart pans with the batter. It will flatten out by itself and it will also overflow if you put too much. Less is better as it will fill the tart pans and look pretty!
4. Bake until dark golden and a little crusty along the rims… about 30 to 40 minutes or for my oven sometimes over an hour!
You can test them with a toothpick if you want.
Cook on a rack and remove from pans.
You’ll be making these every year if you try it.