The Travelin Man
Add me to the list of people heading to Birmingham in the near future. I just purchased tickets to the SEC Baseball Tournament coming up in a few weeks in Hoover.
From this report, I have identified a few must stops (unless I completely misread):
Bob Syke’s BBQ
Niki’s West (but, not for breakfast)
Full Moon BBQ
I also have a few “I will try to make it work” stops, unless I need to be convinced that they should be moved to the “must” pile:
Baby Ray’s BBQ
Durbin Farm Market (on the way home, probably)
That leaves me with a few questions. (1) Is Dreamland still worth a stop? Is it worth driving to Tuscaloosa, instead? I liked Dreamland when I visited in Mobile a few years back. No, I didn’t think it was as good as Brick Pit, but I liked it, nonetheless.
(2) Have you (or anyone else, really) been to Saw’s BBQ? I tried to do a search, and, unfortunately, these search terms do not yield useful results.
(3) Do I understand correctly that Isaiah’s in Montgomery is now closed? If so, have you tried Martin’s in Montgomery? They came up on the 100 Things to Eat Before You Die list for Alabama…and I do love me some fried chicken. I expect to pass through Montgomery on my way home.
(4) Speaking of routing, I will be driving home and also would like to stop at Durbin Farm Market. Is there a reason you chose them over their neighbors/competitors across the street, Peach Park?
(5) Have you been to Bates Turkey Farm in Greenville? They look like they have the once-in-a-blue-moon turkey-themed restaurant, and I can happily eat a random Thanksgiving meal at the end of May.
(6) Lastly, it appears as though I will be flying into Atlanta and driving to Birmingham. I could absolutely convince myself that I need to go to Mary Mac’s, which I love. The road from ATL-BHM looks like a pretty empty highway. Do you know of any gems along the way that may not be on my radar?
Any help is, as always, greatly appreciated.