I’m SO glad that my (former) homewtown has made it on this site! BrightCu, you’ve asked the $10,000 question…
1. Lee’s Famous Recipe, on Cherry Rd. near the Bookworm bookstore — fried chicken, potato wedges, sweet tea
2. Varsity Restaurant, on Oakland Ave. past Winthrop University — basic Southern meat-and-three, though they have the best chili dogs in town
3. White Horse, on Camden Ave. near Winthrop — everything is great, but we swoon over the baked sandwiches (Charlie O’Chicken, Charlie O’Tuna, Incredible Edible Pizza Hoagie) and casseroles [www.whitehorseonline.com]
4. Wing King, on Charlotte Ave. near the intersection of Cherry Rd. — fabulous Buffalo wings, various flavors are sure to satisfy any palate
5. Harry & Jean’s, on Cinema Rd. off of Dave Lyle Blvd. — this has opened since I moved away, but my VERY picky RFing parents rave about it, so I figure it must be good [www.harryandjeans.com]
1. 521 BBQ & Grill, on Charlotte Hwy. (Rte. 521) — a friend works here and claims it’s the best BBQ around; I haven’t eaten there yet but I trust her!
2. McHale’s Irish Pub, on Gold Hill Rd. — another friend was a former chef here, great burgers, sandwiches, specials, etc.
3. Cafe Carolinas, also on Gold Hill Rd. (maybe moved to Altura Rd.? not sure) — fancy Southern cuisine, casual dining, one of my faves!
Let me know if you’re looking for any particular food, and I’ll get my family involved in the suggestions! And please call ahead to all these places just to make sure they’re open, especially on Sundays! Chris