I lived in San Jose for 23 years before moving to Southern California. Here are some institutions:
1) Harrys Hoffbrau, Stevens Creek Blvd. Great French Dip!
2) Taco Bravo, Bascom Ave. Taco Delight at 2am!
3) Georgios Pizza, Foxworthy Ave. Best Pizza in California!!
4) Hickory Pit, Campbell Ave. Great Breakfast!
5) By the Bucket, Stevens Creek. Cheesy Garlic Bread mmmmm!
6) Greenlees Bakery, The Alameda. Same location for 81 years! Need I say more! Oh the Cinnamon Bread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7) St. Johns, Lawrence Expressway. Great Silicon Valley Spot. Big Burgers and Philys.
8) The last institution is the Burger Bar on South First Street. EST 1953. Great greasy tacos and the BBQ Steak sandwich, Burgers & Fries.
It makes my arteries tingle!!!