1. Diner-Lover: Thanks for the comparison shopping on UNIQUES! Only 2X the price in NYC!
2. I also think they use a different type of wheat; I somehow remember something called "winter wheat" (of course I may have just dreamed it up…..)
3. I think they are called "splits" becuse they are "split" ie, they have bumps and cracks on them where I guess they "split" when baked. Only adds to the crunch!!!
4. I like regular and cheese best, too. Some of the other flavors (butter, etc.) aren’t really "split" and the darks are just plain burnt; charcoal rubs off on your fingers. (Not that any of this would stop me from devouring a bag, however!)
5. Maybe we can start a UNIQUE taste-test here: order them from the website and let us know what you think!!!