All of these stories, what a hoot! The worst thing that has ever happened to me in the kitchen was the first time that I tried to flame a steak. A little too much brandy, a little too much time before lighting the flame and POOF!, soot marks on the ceiling! Luckily, nothing actually burned.
My Mom tells the story about the first turkey that she ever cooked for Thanksgiving, about a month after she was married. She didn’t know that there were turkey parts wrapped in paper inside, and cooked it with them in there. They made their appearance when my Dad carved the turkey in front of various in-laws. Forty-eight Thanksgiving turkeys later, she still hasn’t lived it down.