I’m the Chicago boy who lives in the Kenosha/Racine area. The only food I’ll eat in Gurnee is the "Birthday Cake" flavored ice cream at the Marble Slab Creamery located at 5404 Grand Avenue. For the best Roadfood in Gurnee, immediately leave and head north to Wisconsin.
Here’s the best of the best in Kenosha:
1. Tenuta’s Deli-3203 52nd Street, best Italian Deli in the midwest, http://www.tenutasdeli.com
2. The Spot Drive-In, 2117 75th Street, One of the two best double cheeseburgers in Wisconsin since 1946 served by car hops. Great home made root beer.
3. Andrea’s Gifts-2401 60th Street, Old fashioned ice cream parlor, gift shop, and cigar store. Best chocolate malt in Wisconsin. Good home made soups and sandwiches. http://www.andreasgifts.com
4. Frank’s Diner-508 58th Street, a team of horses hauled this real dining car to it’s location in 1925. Go there for breakfast and split a "Garbage Plate" with with home made toast. If you want a coffee refill, go behind the counter and serve yourself. A great place to "people watch" the characters of Kenosha.
5. Mangia Trattoria-5717 Sheridan Road, Four star Italian restaurant open for lunch and dinner. The owner’s brother is the head chef and owner of Spiaggia’s in downtown Chicago. Nuff said!
6. Mars Cheese Castle-2800 120th Street off I94, If you’re in Wisconsin, a stop at the Mars Cheese Castle is mandatory. Selling cheese since 1947, the place is a Wisconsin landmark. Try the fresh cheese curds and enjoy the many free cheese samples. http://www.marscheese.com
I’m happy as a clam
Right where I am
Cause I’m a cheesehead
Head north on Sheridan Road and visit Racine.
1. Kewpee Sandwich Shop-520 Wisconsin Avenue, Another great greasy double cheeseburger not to be missed. I live 5 minutes from Kewpee’s and will be happy to meet you there if you e-mail me a few days ahead. http://www.kewpee.com
2. Bendtsen’s Bakery-3200 Washington Ave, You can’t leave Racine without eating a kringle. My favorite is the turtle. This is Racine’s longest family owned business(over 40 years), serving the #1 rated kringle in Racine and the world. http://www.bendtsensbakery.com
3. Sebastian’s-6025 Douglas, A four star restaurant serving dinners Tues-Sat. One of the best filet’s in Wisconsin. Everything’s absolutely great in this place. A favorite of the Johnson Wax execs.
All these places have an established family history dating back over 40 years of serving the finest quality roadfood in southeastern Wisconsin. Sebastian’s and Mangia’s came on the scene in the 80’s and 90’s None are chains or franchises. Nothing like this exists in Gurnee or the surrounding area. They’re lots more in Milwaukee. Drop me an e-mail.
Born in Chicago
Raised in Chicago
Moved to Wisconsin
Selling Vienna Beef hot dogs, Polish, Italian Beef
Closed for the winter until 7/02