Any true southern mother of the Loveless generation has her own recipe for pimiento cheese, Tom declares. "It's something like pool hall slaw'- a sour slaw made with mustard and vinegar- in that it is something people made because it lasted. Before processed cheese, I was a chore to make your own pimiento cheese. Processed American cheese made it easier to mix, but I believe that making it is becoming a lost art. People ask me, Why make it? My answer is that it should be made. It is a tradition. When I fix a grilled cheese sandwich, it wouldn't be right without pimiento cheese."
- Prep Time: 10 minutes minutes
- Yield: 4 Servings
- ½ cup grated yellow Cheddar cheese
- 2 ½ cups grated extra-sharp white Cheddar cheese
- ⅛ tsp cayenne
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp crushed dried pimiento
- Salt and pepper
- Stir together the cheeses, cayenne, mayonnaise, pimiento, and salt and pepper to taste in a mixing bowl. Mix well until creamy. Serve chilled; great on white toast.