Eggs Loveless With Tomato Gravy
Tom Morales practically breaks out into song when he rhapsodizes about the goodness of the grits cakes that are the foundation of this gloss on Eggs Benedict. "What we do at the end of the day is take the grits we haven't used, add some Parmesan cheese to thicken them up, add a little flavor, and then lay them out on a sheet pan to cool overnight. In the morning, we take a big biscuit cutter and cut the grits into rounds, which are then floured and fried. You place these grits cakes on a plate with pieces of country ham and eggs-over-easy. Then top with tomato gravy. Awesome!"
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 5 Servings
- 1 recipe grits find recipe at https://roadfood.com/recipe/falls-mills-white-corn-grits/
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp pepper
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup canola oil
- ½ cup bacon grease or ¼ cup canola oil and ¼ cup country ham drippings
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (12oz) can chopped tomatoes or 12 peeled, seeded, and chopped fresh tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 8 2 oz portions country ham, cooked in a skillet
- 8 eggs fried
- Take the grits after they have cooled and thickened and mix in the Parmesan cheese. Spread the mixture on a large baking sheet. take a large biscuit or cookies cutter and cut out the grit mix. Add the salt, pepper, and flour together in a small plastic bag. Shake thoroughly and pour onto a plate. Press the grits cakes into the flour to coat both sides.
- In a skillet over medium heat add the oil to cover the bottom. When the oil is hot but not smoking, drop in the grits cakes, browning both sides. Remove and reserve.
- For the tomato gravy, put the bacon grease in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the flour and stir until well mixed. Add the milk and stir until it boils. Add the tomatoes and return to a boil. Add the salt and pepper to taste. If too thick, add water and stir
- Place two cooked grits cakes on a plate. Place a country ham portion on top of each. Place a fried egg on top of the ham on each grits cake. Ladle the tomato gravy over the top and enjoy.