"Corn has always been a staple in the southern kitchen," Tom reminds us. "Spoon bread, muffins, and hoe cakes are all variations of the same idea. A fritter is the deep-fried version."
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 10 Servings
- 3 ½ cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 6 egg yolks
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 24 oz frozen corn kernels thawed and drained
- 6 egg whites
- oil as needed
- powdered sugar or syrup optional
- Sift the flour with the baking powder in a large bowl. Make a well in the center.
- In a separate bowl mix together the egg yolks, milk, sugar, and salt. Add to the flour, pouring the wet mixture into the well. Blend together until smooth. Add corn to the mixture and blend well.
- In a chilled bowl beat the egg whites until stiff. Gently fold them into the corn mixture and incorporate.
- Heat the oil in deep skillet or fryer, and drop the batter into the oil using a portion scoop. Place on paper towels to drain. May be served with syrup or confectioner's sugar.