Food Lover’s Road Trip from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon
Road Trip Overview
This potential three day Roadfood Adventure will take you around Phoenix, Arizona before heading north on Interstate 17 to the small town of Sedona. With a mere population of 10,397 Sedona has three fantastic restaurants that are a must try in our expert opinion. After Sedona, hop back into your car for a short 29 mile drive before arriving at the last two restaurant locations, both in Flagstaff, the perfect place to stay before a day trip to the Grand Canyon.
Instead of visiting the cutting-edge, high dollar places everyone knows about, you’ll discover less pretentious eats and sleeves-up meals. These four un-fancy smoke shacks, burger joints, dog houses, don’t cost an arm and a leg, and give you a true taste of Phoenix.
- Great breakfast at Harlow’s Cafe. We recommend the Eggs Maximilian which consists of three eggs, onions, green chilies and chorizo sausage all crammed into a large flour tortilla.
- Fantastic Barbeque can be found at Little Miss BBQ, the menu includes a memorable smoked brisket, great beans and grits.
- A burrito served enchilada style; smothered in melting orange cheese with your choice of red or green chile sauce found at Rito’s Mexican Food.
- Untraditional hot dogs served without buns at Short Leash Hot Dogs. Instead of on a bun, have your dog wrapped in naan bread, a tortilla or on a pretzel roll.
Heading north out of the city to Route 66, you’ll go through Sedona before entering Flagstaff. In this small town we enjoyed two breakfast locations but two totally different meals.
- Massive cinnamon rolls and fantastic huevos rancheros at the Red Rock Café.
- Perfectly plated Smoked Salmon & Fry Bread that tastes as good as it looks at Casa Sedona.
- A variety of options, from craft beers to a bread-lover’s dream sourdough bread at the Indian Gardens Oak Creek Market.
Flagstaff Breakfast and Burgers
Once in Flagstaff, we have two locations for you to fill your stomachs at before visiting the Grand Canyon.
Is there another dish as malleable as pizza It can be an utterly simple tomato pie – nothing...
Dayboat fish, pink shrimp, stone crab claws, and conch are just the nautical highlights of a...
A favorite vacation destination for southerners eager to escape summer heat and enjoy the...
For adventurous seekers of Roadfood, a brief visit to Savannah can be frustrating There are...
Whatever you like to eat, Chicago has it – humble and swanky, familiar and exotic, healthful...
Aside from a couple of irresistible bakeries that make beautiful buttermilk biscuits – plain...